Thursday, October 27, 2011

Two Princesses and Two Potties



The Princesses and the Potties

This has been the week of the potty.  Up until now, the cute little princess potties we received for the girls when they moved in with us were mostly used as step stools, with an occasional blast of their happy trumpet song when a girl would decide to give them a try for their real purpose.

The girls are 3 and 4 years old respectively, which seems like an age where big girl pantyhood should have been reached, but these girls have been through a lot in the last year and just were not ready for this milestone.

I decided they were ready when I changed 6 poopy diapers in one day.  Not breastfed baby poop, mind you, preschooler poop.  By diaper number 10 of the day, I had had it!  This was one determined mama!

I cleared out the schedule to potty train the younger while the older was at preschool.  I sat her down in front of the TV on the potty and thus the week long ordeal began.  In fact, it’s still going.  After three days of accidents and tears and few successes, she began to get it and has stayed dry for over 24 hours now.  Woo hoo!

The older one is special needs and is partially trained, but could care less if she runs around with a full diaper.  As I suspected, though, seeing little sis get candy over and over has become a big motivator for her, too.  She has been dry all day today for the first time ever!

I am exhausted, the house is a mess, but we are on our way to success!

Potty training a child (or two) can teach you a lot about yourself.  I was reminded this week of what is truly important.  A neat and tidy house is nice, but my daughter needed me to sit with her for hours on end to support her and help her be successful.  I am a multi-tasker and doer, and there were several times where I wanted to get up and get to the housework, but I am so glad I restrained and fully made myself present to her in this big step in her life.  The kitchen floors are dirty, the lawn needs to be mowed, and the laundry is starting to pile up, but my little girl is experiencing success and control over her body –something she has never had before as a foster kid who was mistreated.

I was also reminded of how I expect a lot of my kids.  High expectations can be a good thing - the girls have grown leaps and bounds physically, developmentally, and behaviorally since they came to live with us - but sometimes I need remember to be okay with where they are at and love them in that place.  When Amie had 3 accidents in just a few hours I was starting to get frustrated with her, but when I saw the tears in her eyes I sensed the Lord telling me she just needed to be hugged and  told, “It’s okay, we’ll just keep trying!  Mommy loves you!”

The potty training will continue with its triumphs and disappointments, but I am so proud of my two girls and their pluck as well as their willingness to try something scary and new.  I am so thankful that God gave us these sweet girls and for all the things He is teaching me through them!


The girls are 3 and 4 years old respectively, which seems like an age where big girl pantyhood should have been reached, but these girls have been through a lot in the last year and just were not ready for this milestone.


I decided they were ready when I changed 6 poopy diapers in one day. Not breastfed baby poop, mind you, preschooler poop. By diaper number 10 of the day, I had had it! This was one determined mama!


I cleared out the schedule to potty train the younger while the older was at preschool. I sat her down in front of the TV on the potty and thus the week long ordeal began. In fact, it’s still going. After three days of accidents and tears and few successes, she began to get it and has stayed dry for over 24 hours now. Woo hoo!


The older one is special needs and is partially trained, but could care less if she runs around with a full diaper. As I suspected, though, seeing little sis get candy over and over has become a big motivator for her, too. She has been dry all day today for the first time ever!

I am exhausted, the house is a mess, but we are on our way to success!


Potty training a child (or two) can teach you a lot about yourself. I was reminded this week of what is truly important. A neat and tidy house is nice, but my daughter needed me to sit with her for hours on end to support her and help her be successful. I am a multi-tasker and doer, and there were several times where I wanted to get up and get to the housework, but I am so glad I restrained and fully made myself present to her in this big step in her life. The kitchen floors are dirty, the lawn needs to be mowed, and the laundry is starting to pile up, but my little girl is experiencing success and control over her body - something she has never had before as a foster kid who was mistreated.


I also realized that I expect a lot from my kids. High expectations can be a good thing - the girls have grown leaps and bounds physically, developmentally, and behaviorally since they came to live with us–but sometimes I need remember to be okay with where they are at and love them in that place. When Amie had 3 accidents in just a few hours I was starting to get frustrated with her, but when I saw the tears in her eyes I sensed the Lord telling me she just needed to be hugged and told, “It’s okay, we’ll just keep trying! Mommy loves you!”

The potty training will continue with its triumphs and disappointments, but I am so proud of my two girls and their pluck and their willingness to try something scary and new. I am so thankful that God gave us these sweet girls and for all the things He is teaching me through them!

No comments:

Post a Comment